Pages

Reading....for Pleasure (shock, horror, gasp)

I’d forgotten how nice it is to read a good novel. To be able to just “disappear” into this whole other world… 

For a good few years, all I read was either work related or parenting related. I thought I didn’t have time to read, but now I make the time! 

Even if it’s just for ten minutes, it takes me away to another universe AND it stops my brain from thinking /worrying about a hundred other things.

Because I am obviously a bit of a rule nazi, I have made two simple rules for myself in this regard:

a) easy reads only; and light hearted stories - nothing full on emotional or depressing (I have the same rule for movies at this point too).   Call me superficial, but it’s meant to be a time out…

b) no reading with the kids or other interruptions around – I like to know that if I’m going to pick up the book, even if it IS just for 10 minutes, I’m going to be allowed to “travel” with it without interruptions.

I never take it to the park with the kids for example. If I’m at the park with the kids, I’m with the kids. Even if they’re happy playing on their own, the risk of being interrupted mid-sentence is too high… this way they’re happy (about the attention) and so am I…                                                                         M
  

No comments:

Post a Comment